Monday, October 27, 2008

nice to meet you

As organized and on-top-of-things I may seem to be, the one task I've been dreading the most is having Hunny Bunny's and my parents meet for the very first time.

And now I've been informed that they will be coming for a visit next weekend. (They live about a 5-hour drive away.) I know, we've been together for nearly 5 years and they still haven't met each other!

I guess it just never came up. Speaking of coming up though, I think I just threw up a little bit in my mouth.

Honestly, I've probably only seen his parents maybe 10 times total. HB on the other has gone on vacation with me and my family. Lucky him.

Now I'm scrambling to think of a place where everyone will be comfortable for dinner.
It needs to be a little bit loud, not too intimate - so that there will be less uncomfortable silences. (Notice I said less!)

HB's not much help when it comes to conversation either. He rarely helps the conversation along because he's not into participating and he's not really good about including other people in the conversation, especially when it requires translations. I guess I'll just start yammering away about the planning so far and hope that that's enough.

I also don't really know what they like to eat because when we visit them, HB's mom usually cooks Vietnamese food. I do know that they like the Olive Garden, but I don't want to take them somewhere where they can eat at home... Fortunately, HB's parents and my parents aren't prentetious eaters (like me!) so I'm sure they'll be happy and gracious with where ever we choose.

Anyway, what do you think? Any suggestions? I don't want to take them anywhere they might not get i.e. some place that serves small food that's stacked up pretty. Maybe Asian food, but that seems too casual. I don't want to choose a place where we have to wait an hour for a table because they don't take reservations. How tacky would I look if that were to happen?

I'm probably just adding undue pressure on myself because I want it to be perfect and I want them to like each other. Oh whatever. I just want everyone to like me!

And what am I going to wear?! Now that's a task that I don't mind concentrating on.

On the brightside, maybe we'll be able to hammer out the details of some of the traditional things both cultures may want to include during the festivities. At the very least, I can get HB's mom's guest list.

tbc...

4 comments:

tam pham said...

i'm still trying to get over the fact that your parents still haven't met and the fact that you've only seen his fam 10 times...in the meantime, hate to say it but WHY NOT olive garden (btw, my vietnamese parents be lovin' Olive Garden too!)?? especially if they like it. how about a japanese steakhouse type of place? that way if there's any awkward silence, you can at least be entertained by the "chef" making heart-shaped fried rice or throwing shrimp tails into his chef hat!

don't stress too much. it'll be a lovely evening, i'm sure.

Anonymous said...

Wow we were just talking about this! Do they have Carls Jr in Spokane?

My guess is that both sets of parents are just as nervous as you about the whole thing and will want to make a good impression on each other.

Maybe if you go someplace "American" there will be lots of Halloween costumes/decorations and that can be a distraction...er, topic of conversation.

Anonymous said...

My soon to be inlaws (who don't speak english) and my parents met this past weekend and I took them to Pink Door. It was actually alot of fun! Good luck ;)

Anonymous said...

bring them to cow head for pho on raineer! aww yeah.